Monday 14 January 2013

A very British Christmas and a Scottish New Year


The highly anticipated British Christmas had finally come around and with so many events leading up to Christmas it truly was magical. London has a fantastic vibe surrounding Christmas time with markets on almost every corner, ice skating rinks everywhere and so many fabulous places to go and experience the Christmas vibes- Christmas fete’s run by local schools, Christmas work parties, Christmas drinks as each of your British friends return to their parents for the holidays (I didn’t realise how many people weren’t actually from London) and the whole process of buying a real Christmas tree and decorating it.

We kicked off the festivities with Winter Wonderland and as the winter chill had just set in it wasn’t long before we found the beer halls and pretty much re-lived Oktoberfest all over again. From what I remember too this is also around the time that I fell in love with mulled wine- and we all know how much I love red wine anyway! My first hot drink that I like and it had to be alcoholic. As we sang songs, drank and were all very merry we didn’t care too much for the fact that in the end we hardly saw much of Winter Wonderland. It’s quite expensive anyway but a good experience from what we had.

Next, it was my old (temporary) Primary School’s Christmas fete in which all us kids got persuaded to come to, mainly for the fact that they were known to have great prizes (none of which we won) and my Aunties were in the choir. What a laugh but well done for them getting up there because I certainly couldn’t do it.

Time to farewell Toma as she had decided that her time in London was up.  We all said our goodbyes and wished her happiness. London isn’t for everyone.
Meanwhile I began to slightly hibernate over the next couple of weeks, trying to save my casual paychecks and prepare myself for three weeks of unpaid work whilst my liver tried to regain any strength it had to get through the next few weeks of festive celebrations. 

I managed to buy a real Christmas tree and decorate it with any old items I found in the cupboards from years ago as well as unwanted decorations from family. A job well done I say. Everyone pretty much has real tree’s over here and they are quite cheap. My first tree as I live alone for the first time in my life. Love it!

We also had our very first light dusting of snow, which only lasted for the morning- but still, all very exciting!

At school we did almost all the Christmas activities that you could think of and each Kindy class were gob-smacked when I explained to them what happens in Australia for Christmas. They wouldn’t believe me when I told them it was Summer and we went to the beach.  Even though I had only been at this school for about 6 weeks I received so many Christmas cards, chocolates and gifts from the students in both reception classes (I team taught and shared both classes). So generous and possibly the best time of year with a class I think. I must say it was a tad odd to not be farewelling them as a whole like we do in Aus.- Their school year begins in August after their summer.


Once we wrapped up for the year celebratory drinks begun! Days away from Christmas, it was time to celebrate my cousin’s 18th with a house party- no parents invited. This was sick! Full on like an American house party we see in movies like American pie. Really enjoyed this and loved seeing no drama, just everyone having a blast. We had strict orders to turn the music down and off by 1, yet that got stretched to the early hours of the morning because it felt like a crime to end it there. With a quick sweep before the sun came up we all crashed and not long after the parents re-entered, expecting a bomb but highly surprised at how well it went.

Next was Christmas Eve, Louis’ actual birthday and we all got up early and went to Harrods, trying our luck for a photo with Santa but the lady at the desk ever so ‘politely’ asked us if we knew it was Christmas eve and explained that all the sessions were booked. We explored Harrod’s whilst on the waiting list and eventually gave up after we had all sat down and pretty much read the whole Guinness book of records and had a snow fight with the fake snow. We even spotted the most expensive items. An 87,000 pound TV and a 99,000 pound chandelier, which Louis just had to touch.

We then decided to go to the Hobbit (Louis request) and then off to the pub to celebrate Louis’ first legal drink, how it got to his head! After a few too many I left for home and into bed, ready for Santa. As I awoke the next morning I had plenty of texts from my friends back home wishing me a merry ‘white’ Christmas (more like rainy than snowy)- what a shame, but that’s London for you, miserable.

Christmas was so different and I am still trying to work out if I loved it or not. Maybe in a few years time when I look back but for now it was just so different! Nothing was the same (except for my vegemite toast in the morning) but so it shouldn’t have been because that’s what a winter Christmas is all about. If I didn’t have so much family here I think it could have been my worst Christmas but instead it was filled with food, family, friends, booze and more food. It was my Uncle’s birthday so we headed to the pub for a few hours and opened presents almost all day as more people arrived. I got an arsenal shirt, some make up, money, a coat and little bits and bobs. Definitely more than I expected but ever so thankful. 


Dinner was all hot. Forget your prawns, salads and fresh fruit/foods. We’re talking meat, roasts, veggies, Yorkshire puddings, gravy, salmon, and potatoes. Not really my favourite foods and I really missed the Christmas ham. Yet this never stopped me from eating loads I must say.  There always has to be a drama on Christmas and for us it was a broken oven so all foods had to be taken by car to my place and use my oven. What a funny memory it will become but ever so stressful for my aunty the poor thing. We made it though! We had desserts, wine then somehow we all managed to fit in cheese and crackers later. I seriously looked like I was about 3 months pregnant! We played family board games, listened to carols and shared stories of laughter. What a fab day- only to do it all over again the next day!


From Boxing Day I seemed to have a week to recover before heading up to Scotland. Boy did I need it too! I went up by myself as I didn’t want to stay in London and my cousins/friends were working or had gone home. So I booked with Fanatics and off I went. I made friends with these two lovely girls from Brisbane and we took in the chilly NYE experience. Edinburgh, Hogmanay was the place to be apparently. Yet once again all I could think about was how much I loved the hot weather and fanatics past experiences I have had. Don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed Scotland and thought it was great-wonderful fireworks and a great night out after (the club was like Geordie Shore, very entertaining and hard to understand people) but in future I defiantly will be seeking warmer experiences and it makes you realised and appreciate just how great our Christmas festivities are. I realised how much I love them and watching the Sydney fireworks on TV I have told myself I will be spending it down the harbor in 2013 (unless I am India!).

My body by now was screaming for a detox or change so by the time I got home I had made the decision to have a sober and healthy January- fighting the Heathrow injection, getting back into training and healthy eating and hopefully shedding some of this Euro fat by the time I make it back to Aus in Feb for a quick holiday.

My new years resolution? It’s tough but I would say to keep living life to the fullest, enjoying everyday as if it is my last and to keep smiling.

I hope everyone reading this had a wonderful Christmas and New Year as well. Much love xo
























No comments:

Post a Comment